How to prepare for a trip to the arctic
Before leaving we must consider some things:
- Photographic equipment
- You have to adjust to the extreme conditions and give up some comforts
- Take the medicines we always use
- Some supplies from Italy cannot be missing
- A Parca is always better than a technical jacket, because it protects more a photographer who stands motionless at -35 for hours. So my advice is a Canadian Goose type Park, 66 North, North Face, Columbia, or similar (from -30C). I found that Decathlon that we have already tested very good and less expensive: https://www.decathlon.it/piumino-uomo-makalu-rosso-id_8495234.html
- Very often by taking pictures in the ice caves you can destroy the padded jackets or pants for this my suggestion and bring on the trip an anti-wind shell or ski jacket that you can put on a heavy jacket.
- A 100 gr feather jacket must not be missing. - can be purchased from Columbia or Decathlon
- Sweatshirt / warm fleece
- Thermal socks
- Neck warmer or balaclava
- Double wool cap or technical hat
- Sun glasses
- In extremely cold weather, double gloves with mittens are needed, I recommend HEAT or Vallerret
- Baffin or Demar type boots
- In some cases crampons are needed, I always recommend taking large ones because it is difficult to put them on large boots
- Sometimes staying on the ice for hours is tricky so you will need knee covers
- Padded ski pants - brands can be from North Face, Columbia, Decathlon
- Thermal tights - reflective from Columbia, Patagonia, Decathlon, or merino wool.
- Don't forget that your hands suffer a lot so I recommend the hand cream: Avene Cicalfate, cocoa butter for the lips.